Well on Wednesday Benson, Ella and I came up to Ogden to see my mom who had just gotten back from a long trip to Holland. Andrew took off to the Mountain West Conference tournament in Las Vegas. The kids loved seeing oma and opa again and it was nice for me to get out as well. We miss Andrew but are glad the cougars have won their first tournament game.Yesterday we had a fun morning out and about, and when we got home for lunch Benson went down for a nap in the downstairs living room. It has been about 2 months since he last slept here, so the house was babyproofed for a Benson that was 2 months younger. Well, in those 2 months he figured out to do a little bit more than we were expecting. We heard Benson play the first part of his nap (pretty normal, I think he is fazing naps out), and then we didn't hear him anymore. Of course we figured he had gone to sleep. So Dad, mom and I were playing a lovely game of phase 10, and when it had ended (about 45 minuted after we last heard him) I went to get him up so we could do some shopping. But to my surprise, and horror, Benson was nowhere to be found. What I did find however, was the sliding door to the laundry room open and the back door to the yard open.... uh oh, yep, and no Benson in sight. My parent's backyard is not closed in, so he walked out into the front yard and decided to go for a little afternoon stroll.... yes, you can imagine the panic that broke loose. Luckily there is an elementary school and playground behind my house, and Benson somehow remembered from 2 months ago (smart kid) that all that fun stuff was behind our house. So he walked himself over to the playground (with no shoes or coat on) and went to play. Someone noticed he was all alone and called the cops. Yes, the police. Well, this is where we come in. Dad and I come running around the corner to find Benson in the arms of a police man eating a lollipop. Benson acted as if nothing of significance had happened and seemed perfectly content in the police man's arms :) They were about to take him to the police station so we showed up just in time!Wow, we were so lucky that he wasn't taken by someone or run over by a car or who know what else.... the cop was really nice and I think he saw the quilt and embarrassment on my face so he decided to forgo the probably standard lecture he tells erring parents... and yes, I felt bad enough as it was!! I know how Benson can just take off, that's why I am extra careful watching him. We have a child lock on our front door and we lock him into his room at night because he likes to wander. So needles to say, this was very upsetting. Oh well, we were just happy Benson was found and happy!
Here is a picture of him afterwards (like nothing special had happened):
Oh my goodness! That is hilarious and I am SO glad nothing happnened to him! You're lucky it was a good cop and not one that tried to turn you in for child neglect. My brother and I got brought home by the cops one day in NY. My mom tells the story all the time!
ReplyDeleteI bet you were so scared. Benson is a smart kid, I guess he just wanted to play. :)
ReplyDeleteSo scary!!! I'm glad he was okay. I know that panic feeling. One time we were at the store and I couldn't find Keaton. He had gone outside and was in the parking lot! I think every mother has a story like that, so don't feel bad.
ReplyDeleteHeaven knows I have a few stories like that, it happens to all of us I guess! Those darn kids are just so unpredictable :) Give Benson a big hug from aunt Karina!!
ReplyDelete